My heart has been heavy over the events that have happened the past few weeks. My thoughts have been with all the families who have lost loved ones and whose lives have been negatively effected by racism. I have been so grateful for the social media attention that has been brought to these issues, but I know that real change happens on an individual level and often in the home. Here are a few books and movies I have read or watched that have taught me what I can do to be more sensitive and make changes in my life.
- Just Mercy, Bryan Stevenson — Book (This book is life changing. I think everyone should read it. It has been made into a movie which is also incredible. It is free to stream right now.)
- The New Jim Crow, Michelle Alexander — Book (This is a very informative book about the terrible problem of mass incarceration in America. Very eye-opening and worth a read.)
- When They See Us — Netflix (This is a miniseries that tells the story of the Central Park Five — five young boys who were wrongfully arrested and imprisoned in 1989. It is powerful, moving, and deep.)
- Self Made — Netflix (This shows the story of Madam C. J. Walker, the first self-made African American millionaire. Very inspiring.)
These are just a few of my favorites. There are so many books and resources available that we can use to be more educated and begin to cause change in each of our homes. If you have any other great resources or suggestions, please leave them in the comments!
Now to the reason you are likely here, the THAI STEAK SALAD!
This Thai Steak Salad is not an ordinary salad, but it is perfect for summer. It can be made with fresh steak, but it can also be made with leftover steak! It is a great way to use up some leftovers. This salad is fresh, tangy, and tastes like summer. The marinade for the steak has: green onions, lemongrass, cilantro, mint, lime juice, etc. It is SO FRESH! And has such a good Thai flavor.
Another plus of this salad is that it can be made the day before and left to marinate in the fridge overnight, or it can be made the day of a few hours before dinner!
Let’s also talk about mint. Fresh mint is so expensive when you buy it in the grocery stores — it can be close to $4 for a few sprigs of mint. Let me tell you — IT IS A RIP OFF. If you plant mint yourself, it will grow like a weed. It is best when it is planted in a pot, because if you plant it in your garden, it will take over everything! That is how quickly it grows, so why they charge so much for it is beyond me. Plus, when winter comes and your mint plant dies off, it will grown back on its own the next year — you don’t even have to replant it. So here is your tip of the day, to plant your own mint! I promise it is worth it.
THAI STEAK SALAD
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp lemongrass finely grated
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs steak
- 6 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 large cucumber diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup peanuts crushed
- In a medium bowl mix cilantro, mint, green onions, lemongrass, lime juice, fish sauce, sweet chili sauce, and sugar. Whisk until everything is well combined.
- If the steak is not already cooked, cook over high heat on a grill for about 5 minutes on each side. Slice the meat into thin strips and let cool.
- Add the steak to the bowl of marinade, cover, and put in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Divide the lettuce into bowls. Top with tomatoes, cucumbers, and steak. If you want more dressing on your salad, pour the extra juice from the marinade on top.
- Top with peanuts and fresh cilantro.