This simple Sweet Potato Pesto Hash is the best go-to brunch dish when you are trying to please a crowd. But it is so easy to make it is also a great option for an everyday breakfast! I even love making it for “breakfast for dinner” nights. It has sweet potatoes, onion, turkey meatballs, spinach, eggs, pesto, and cheese! It is filling, delicious, and so healthy!
I first made this dish last summer. My husband and I were living in Southern California and we went to a brunch place and I ordered the turkey meatloaf hash. It had normal potatoes and turkey meatloaf and was so yummy! I knew I needed to make it for myself — and this is what I ended up with! I think my recipe is even better than the original. Don’t tell them, but it’s true!
This recipe calls for turkey meatballs. Turkey is such a great source of protein because it is so lean and healthy. Plus it is a great option for breakfast because it doesn’t leave you bloated. The turkey meatballs I use in this recipe are from Trader Joe’s and can be found in the freezer section. However, you can use whatever kind of turkey you can find.
Meatballs work great because they mix in well with the rest of the ingredients, but you could even use ground turkey if you have that on hand! If you are using ground turkey, I would cook it in your pot just before you add the onion. Then the onion and meat could finish cooking together. If you are using the meatballs from Trader Joe’s (or any precooked meatballs), just heat them according to the instructions on the package. If you are in a hurry, just heat them in the microwave until they are warm, then throw them in with the rest of the ingredients!
I love topping this hash with lots of fresh cilantro, slices of avocado, and plain greek yogurt! If you don’t have plain greek yogurt or just want a substitute, sour cream also works great. Add a scoop on top and it will tie it all together!
This hash is great on its own, or pairs perfectly with something sweet like a smoothie or acai bowl. I can’t wait for you to try this recipe! As always, if you try it and love it, please share it on social media and tag me @thepalatablelife!
SWEET POTATO PESTO HASH
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 lb turkey meatballs
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro optional
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt optional
- 1 avocado optional
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into small chunks. Transfer to a cooking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt & pepper. Bake for 15-25 min, until soft.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, cut the onion into small pieces. Heat up 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat in a large frying pan or pot and add the onion. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the spinach and cook until it has wilted and is cooked through.
- Heat the turkey meatballs according to the instructions on the package. If they are large meatballs, cut them into smaller pieces. If you are using ground turkey, see my instructions in the paragraphs above this recipe card.
- When the sweet potatoes are finished baking, add them to the pot.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them. Add the eggs to the pot and continue to stir while the eggs cook. When the eggs are almost done, add the pesto and stir until everything is evenly distributed. Add most of the cheese, reserving a small handful for the top. Stir the cheese in and cook until the eggs are completely done.
- Top everything with the remaining cheese and let the cheese melt completely.
- Take the hash off of the heat. Top with cilantro, avocado and greek yogurt.
- Any leftovers will last in the fridge for 4-5 days.