These healthy bran muffins will knock your socks off! They are made with whole wheat flour, wheat bran cereal, and rolled oats! They are perfect for a quick breakfast and keep well in the freezer.
I love muffins (I mean, who doesn’t??), but it is hard for me to justify eating the muffins that look / taste / essentially are mini cakes for breakfast. Muffins like those are fun every once in a while, but it is so nice to have healthy muffins on hand that you can eat and not feel weighed down by! Plus it is always a huge bonus when healthy muffins actually taste good too! And these muffins are exactly that — healthy and tasty.
This recipe was not created by me — it is one of those recipes that is written on a random piece of paper that no one knows where it came from that your mom has had for years. Does anyone else have those? We have made a few of our own adjustments to the original recipe, however, to make it absolutely perfect for you all!
The recipe calls for rolled oats. If you like your muffins to be a little chunky, then just add the oats as they are. If you like your muffins more smooth and cake-like, blend the oats before you add them! I have tried both ways and they both work just fine! It just depends what you like best.
These healthy bran muffins can be made with raspberries or blueberries! The muffins in these pictures were made with raspberries, but I often use blueberries. They are both delicious! The raspberries make the muffins a little more tart, but they are still so good. I usually use fresh raspberries / blueberries, but you can use frozen fruit if that is easier / what you have on hand!
I love making a big batch of these muffins and keeping them in the freezer! They keep so well in the freezer and heat up really easily. They are perfect when I am in a hurry in the morning, or even if I am in no hurry but just want a good muffin in the morning! I especially love to serve them with my Sweet Potato Pesto Hash.
I can’t wait for you to make these muffins and see for yourself just how good they are! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions you may have!
Healthy Bran Muffins
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil canola, olive, or coconut
- 1 1/8 cup buttermilk
- 2 large bananas mashed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups bran cereal I use All-Bran
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup raspberries or blueberries fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, crush the bran cereal and add the buttermilk. Set it aside to soak.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the remaining dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine the egg, brown sugar, oil, mashed banana, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture into the large bowl and stir until just combine. Fold in the blueberries / raspberries — don’t over mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, divide the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out nearly clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes in pan and then take out of pan and let cool completely. Enjoy!