I can’t imagine anything more perfect for fall than this Healthy Apple Bread! It is flavorful, hearty, and will make your kitchen smell AMAZING. Oh, and I almost forgot – this recipe is also vegan / dairy free and can easily be made gluten free!
As some of you know, I have been on a low fodmap diet for quite some time now. If you want to know more about that diet or why I am on it, check out this post. Apples are high in fodmaps, particularly in fructose and sorbitol, so they have to be avoided during the elimination phase of the diet. I am done with the elimination phase and have started adding foods back! I really did not want to miss apple season this fall, so it was one of the first things I reintroduced! Fortunately, my stomach is fine with apples, so I am good to go! And this healthy apple bread was high on my list of recipes to develop.
This recipe makes two loaves, so I had plenty leftover. With the leftovers, my husband and I used it to make french toast and it was absolutely delightful. We topped it with maple syrup, pecans and coconut whipped cream! Speaking of which, have you tried coconut whipped cream? I get it from Trader Joe’s, but there are probably other places that sell it as well! The kind Trader Joe’s carries is incredible. It is light and has the same consistency as normal whipped topping, but has a subtle coconut flavor. If you love coconut then this is a must!
Now let’s talk about what makes this healthy apple bread, healthy! This bread is made with whole wheat flour and is sweetened only with maple syrup and applesauce. If you don’t like the taste of only wheat flour, you can add half wheat flour, half all purpose flour! Plus, the only oil it uses is coconut oil! If you don’t like coconut oil or don’t have it on hand, butter can be substituted. Also, before the apples are added to the batter they are tossed with cinnamon and coconut sugar. If you don’t have coconut sugar, brown sugar can be used instead.
I cannot wait for you to try this healthy apple bread. As always, if you make it yourself, please share a picture and tag me! Happy baking!
Healthy Apple Bread
- 2 cups apples chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted
- Preheat the oven to 350. Peel and chop the apples into small pieces. Toss them with the coconut sugar and cinnamon. Set them aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients — whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients — maple syrup, vanilla, coconut oil. Mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Add the apple pieces that were set aside earlier. Fold them into the batter until they are evenly dispersed. Don’t over mix.
- Divide the batter into two greased bread pans. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and dive in!